Submission Information and Application
The Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona (MLGSCA) continually and vigorously supports the recruitment of outstanding candidates to the profession of health sciences librarianship. One mechanism employed by MLGSCA in order to accomplish this, is through the provision of the Scholarship for Paraprofessionals in Health Sciences Libraries. This scholarship is targeted to health sciences library paraprofessionals. An amount of $1500 shall be given annually and is intended to provide educational support for a paraprofessional working in a health sciences library and has shown evidence of interest in pursuing the health sciences specialization in librarianship. It is expected that the funds will be used to support the recipient's educational goals leading to the professional degree in librarianship. Moreover, recipients will be expected to show evidence of this expectation having been met in the form of documentation, i.e., transcripts of completed coursework.
- Any individual who is enrolled in or entering an ALA-accredited masters program in library and information science and who shows evidence of interest (through their application) in health sciences librarianship.
- The applicant must be currently employed as a paraprofessional in a health sciences related library
- The applicant must be a citizen of or have permanent residence in either the United States or Canada .
- Past recipients of the MLGSCA Student Scholarship are not eligible to apply.
- Priority will be given to applicants enrolled in a graduate school of library and information science located in Southern California or Arizona .
- Applicants need not be a member of MLGSCA or the Medical Library Association to be considered.
The following materials are required for application and must be received by December 15 .
- one copy of the completed application form
- a minimum of two letters of reference and no more than three
- a transcript (unofficial copy is satisfactory) from each college or university attended
- a statement of career objectives
The recipient will be notified and payment made in April. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to award the scholarship in that year.
Preferred: Please email as an attachment to: Laura dot stubblefield at sharp dot com
Print one copy of the completed application and related documents and mail to:
Laura Stubblefield, Chair MLGSCA Awards Committee
Sharp Memorial Hospital Medical Library
7901 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
Recipients of the Scholarship for Paraprofessionals in Health Science Libraries
2010 -- Sondhaya Sritsongsook McGowan: San Jose State University
2014 -- Juan Jamie: University of California, Los Angeles
2015 -- N/A
2016 -- Cari Lyle: University of Washington
2017 -- not awarded