The purpose of the MLGSCA Library Staff Excellence Award is to honor an outstanding library staff in a health sciences library and to recognize the critical role and important contributions library staff make to the development and evolution of modern health sciences libraries and librarianship.
Considerations/criteria for nominating a library staff for this award include, but are not limited to, a library staff without a Library Master's degree that:
- Provides consistently, excellent library service.
- Continually suggests improvements or innovative ideas and is willing to take the lead in making good suggestions a reality.
- Encourages and promotes the library’s mission, facilities and resources.
- Enhances the promotion and marketing endeavors of the library through facilitating productive, effective communication between users and the library.
- Is professionally curious and is willing to take risks, even if that means moving beyond their comfort zone.
- Is a lifelong learner and regularly attends training or other local or regional events to improve their skills and knowledge base.
Nominations can be made by any MLGSCA member and sent to the Awards Committee chair. Please use the available FORM. Nomination deadline is July 1st.
Frequency and Number of Awards
The MLGSCA Library Staff Excellence Award is given annually to one outstanding library staff in a health sciences library. If there are no suitable candidates nominated, the award is not given. The award is usually presented by the MLGSCA President during the Fall Meeting.
Recipients of the MLGSCA Library Staff Excellence Award
2009 -- Kathleen Shepler
2010 -- Jan Grabowski
2011 -- Elisabeth Mason
2012 -- Norma Layton
2013 -- Rosemarie Murray
2014 -- Nancy Olmos
2015 -- Bethany Weinberg
2016 -- Amy Sharpe
2017 -- Elaine White
2018 -- Pamela Gay
2019 -- Victoria Flores
2020 -- not awarded
2021 -- Samantha Garcia
2022 -- not awarded