In library school? Thinking about becoming a medical librarian? Here's some of what MLGSCA has to offer you:
Yes, you read that correctly. Membership in MLGSCA is free as long as you are enrolled in library school.
FREE Continuing Education/Program Coupon
Want a "test-drive" before you buy? Students are eligible to attend one Continuing Education program at no charge. Contact the Membership Chair for more information.
MLGSCA Student Scholarship
- Scholarship form (application and information)
MLGSCA Scholarship for Paraprofessionals in Health Sciences Libraries
The Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona (MLGSCA) continually and vigorously supports the recruitment of outstanding candidates to the profession of health sciences librarianship. One mechanism employed by MLGSCA to accomplish this, is through the provision of a scholarship for paraprofessionals working in health sciences libraries. The amount of $1500 shall be given annually and is intended to provide support for a paraprofessional currently working in a health sciences library and who has shown evidence of interest in pursuing the health sciences specialization in librarianship. It is expected that the funds will be used to support the recipient's educational goals leading to the professional degree in librarianship. Moreover, recipients will be expected to show evidence of this expectation having been met in form of documentation, i.e., transcripts of completed coursework.
- Application for the Scholarship for Paraprofessionals in Health Sciences Libraries
- Electronic submission is preferred.
MLGSCA has research grants for students. Find a medical librarian to sponsor you and get researching!
MLGSCA sponsors a Mentor Program which pairs an experienced medical librarian with a protégé, either short- or long-term.
Other Links of Interest to Students
- Find Out What It Takes to Become A Medical Librarian!
- Directory of ALA-Accredited LIS Master's Programs
- Health Sciences Librarianship Courses in ALA-Accredited School Programs
- Links to Internships in the Health Sciences
- University of Arizona School of Information Resources and Library Science
- San José State University School of Library and Information Science
- UCLA Department of Information Studies