Come join us and publically interact with us over at our MLGSCA Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MLGSCA/, too!
The MLGSCA Web/Blog Committee is experimenting with Facebook features. If successful, we will fully convert ourselves from the Facebook page to the open Facebook group. If not as successful as we would like, we will consider setting up a closed group or closing either the group or the page. Currently, our Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/Medical-Library-Group-of-Southern-California-Arizona-MLGSCA-184836371542057/, our Facebook group is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/MLGSCA/, and Facebook does not seem to have a feature to link them together. So, come join us and publically interact with one another at either of them to show everyone what we are made of and to help us with our Facebook decisions!
Here are the awards, grants, and scholarships available through MLGSCA:
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Amount: None assigned
- Description: To honor the significant lifetime achievements of an MLGSCA member who has made lasting contributions to the profession of health sciences librarianship beyond the scope of the local chapter.
- Eligibility: Member of MLGSCA for at least 5 years and is a current member ending a distinguished career in health sciences librarianship.
- Louise Darling MLGSCA Achievement Award
- Amount: $500
- Description: To honor significant contributions to health sciences librarianship, as well as to MLGSCA.
- Eligibility: Member of MLGSCA for at least 2 years and current member at time of election.
- MLGSCA Library Staff Excellence Award
- Amount: $250
- Description: To honor an outstanding health sciences library staff memebr and to recognize the critical role and important contribution library make to the development and evolution of modern health sciences libraries and librarianship.
- Eligibility: A staff member in a health sciences library (MLGSCA membership not listed as a criterion)
- Professional Development Award
- Amount: Awards range from $100-500
- Description: To support professional development activities, including attendance at classes, conferences, and meetings.
- Eligibility: Hold a graduate degree in library and information science, be a regular member of MLGSCA, be a practicing medical librarian with at least 2 years of professional experience, and have not received this award in the past 3 years.
- Research Grant Application Information
- Amount: $1,000 has been set aside for the awards program for the July-June fiscal year, with $500 being the maximum amount per award
- Description: To support research that focuses on topics and issues in health sciences librarianship.
- Eligibility: All applicants must hold current membership in MLGSCA. Student members of MLGSCA will be required to identify a practicing medical librarian or library school faculty member as a sponsor for their research project. Sponsors do not have to be members of MLGSCA. In exceptional cases, consideration may be given to outstanding research proposals submitted by individuals who do not meet these eligibility requirements.
- Student Scholarship
- Amount: $1,500
- Description: To provide support during a library student's course of study. The scholarship funds can be used as desired by the recipient.
- Eligibility: A regular or student member of MLGSCA. (A free student membership application may accompany the scholarship application.) Applicant must be enrolled in and actively attending an ALA-accredited master's degree program (e.g., MLS, MIS, MLIS) and be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada. Past recipients of the scholarship are not eligible to apply.
- AHIP First-Time Applicant Award
- Amount: $135 or $200, depending on membership level
- Description: Reimburses application fee for Academy of Health Information Professionals in order to encourage MLGSCA members to join AHIP.
- Eligibility: Current member of MLGSCA and MLA, first-time applicant for AHIP at any level, and AHIP membership awarded, with documentation submitted and all fees paid to MLA.
Committee Chairs 2020
Now combined with Web/blog committee
WEB/BLOG & Connections Committee
Other Advisory Council Members
Additional Important Contact Information
MLA Credentialing Committee Liaison (AHIP)
If you would like to become involved with an MLGSCA Committee, please contact MLGSCA via the Contact Us form.
Listed below are committees and chairs for 2020:
Develops standards and guidelines for the following awards: 1) MLA Scholarship Donation; 2) Louise Darling Award; 3) MLGSCA Student Scholarships; 4) MLGSCA Professional Development Award(s); 5) Outstanding Paraprofessional of the Year; 6) Paraprofessional Career Development Award and 7) MLGSCA Lifetime Achievement Award
Chair: Laura Stubblefield
Continuing Education/Program Committee
Plans all MLGSCA programs and continuing education courses presented other than at the Joint Meeting
Chair: Naomi Bishop
Facilitates the sharing of duplicate and excess journal issues
Chair: Adele Dobry
Responsible for the control and general supervision of the financial affairs of the MLGSCA
Chair: Robin Schiff
Governmental Relations/Bylaws Committee
Monitors & informs members of legislation & the actions of governmental agencies related to health science libraries, maintains the MLGSCA bylaws
Chair: Carrie Grinstead
Collects and maintains all information relating to MLGSCA membership
Co-Chairs: Robin Schiff
There shall be a Nominating Committee of five members. The Committee members shall be elected by plurality vote of the Group members present and voting at the group's last (usually spring) business meeting. The Committee shall elect a Chair by majority vote of its members.
Chair: Elisa Cortez
Professional Issues Committee
Provides a forum for the discussion and resolution of professional issues of concern to the membership. The committee coordinates recruitment and retention efforts, including the chapter's mentoring program
Co-Chairs: Robin Schiff & Jan Kuebel-Hernandez
Encourages and facilitates research activities within the Chapter, provides research resources, and administers the annual Research Awards program
Chair: Janene Wandersee
Web/Blog Committee & Connections Committee
Consists of Webmaster, Assistant Webmaster, and "lay" members, responsible for MLGSCA Web site, including dynamic updating of the membership directory, usability studies, etc. Also responsible for updating blog and social media accounts. Now combined with Connections Committee: Responsible for email discussion list, tasks related to the chapter presence on social networking sites, AC and chapter-wide wiki issues, possible establishment of web conferencing, and other ways MLGSCA might connect with members and other organizations
Chair: David Bickford
Webmaster: Angela Murrell