Here are the awards, grants, and scholarships available through MLGSCA:
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Amount: None assigned
- Description: To honor the significant lifetime achievements of an MLGSCA member who has made lasting contributions to the profession of health sciences librarianship beyond the scope of the local chapter.
- Eligibility: Member of MLGSCA for at least 5 years and is a current member ending a distinguished career in health sciences librarianship.
- Louise Darling MLGSCA Achievement Award
- Amount: $500
- Description: To honor significant contributions to health sciences librarianship, as well as to MLGSCA.
- Eligibility: Member of MLGSCA for at least 2 years and current member at time of election.
- MLGSCA Library Staff Excellence Award
- Amount: $250
- Description: To honor an outstanding health sciences library staff memebr and to recognize the critical role and important contribution library make to the development and evolution of modern health sciences libraries and librarianship.
- Eligibility: A staff member in a health sciences library (MLGSCA membership not listed as a criterion)
- Professional Development Award
- Amount: Awards range from $100-500
- Description: To support professional development activities, including attendance at classes, conferences, and meetings.
- Eligibility: Hold a graduate degree in library and information science, be a regular member of MLGSCA, be a practicing medical librarian with at least 2 years of professional experience, and have not received this award in the past 3 years.
- Research Grant Application Information
- Amount: $1,000 has been set aside for the awards program for the July-June fiscal year, with $500 being the maximum amount per award
- Description: To support research that focuses on topics and issues in health sciences librarianship.
- Eligibility: All applicants must hold current membership in MLGSCA. Student members of MLGSCA will be required to identify a practicing medical librarian or library school faculty member as a sponsor for their research project. Sponsors do not have to be members of MLGSCA. In exceptional cases, consideration may be given to outstanding research proposals submitted by individuals who do not meet these eligibility requirements.
- Library Staff Student Scholarship
- Amount: $1,500
- Description: To support the recipient's educational goals leading to the professional degree in librarianship.
- Eligibility: Any individual who is enrolled in or entering an ALA-accredited master's program in library and information science who shows evidence of interest (through their application) in health sciences librarianship. The applicant must be currently employed as a library staff in a health sciences-related library. The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of either the United States or Canada.
- Student Scholarship
- Amount: $1,500
- Description: To provide support during a library student's course of study. The scholarship funds can be used as desired by the recipient.
- Eligibility: A regular or student member of MLGSCA. (A free student membership application may accompany the scholarship application.) Applicant must be enrolled in and actively attending an ALA-accredited master's degree program (e.g., MLS, MIS, MLIS) and be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
- AHIP First-Time Applicant Award
- Amount: $135 or $200, depending on membership level
- Description: Reimburses application fee for Academy of Health Information Professionals in order to encourage MLGSCA members to join AHIP.
- Eligibility: Current member of MLGSCA and MLA, first-time applicant for AHIP at any level, and AHIP membership awarded, with documentation submitted and all fees paid to MLA.
If you would like to become involved with an MLGSCA Committee, please contact MLGSCA via the Contact Us form.
Listed below are committees and chairs for 2019:
Develops standards and guidelines for the following awards: 1) MLA Scholarship Donation; 2) Louise Darling Award; 3) MLGSCA Student Scholarships; 4) MLGSCA Professional Development Award(s); 5) Outstanding Paraprofessional of the Year; 6) Paraprofessional Career Development Award and 7) MLGSCA Lifetime Achievement Award
Chair: Laura Stubblefield
Continuing Education/Program Committee
Plans all MLGSCA programs and continuing education courses presented other than at the Joint Meeting
Chair: Naomi Bishop
Facilitates the sharing of duplicate and excess journal issues
Chair: Adele Dobry
Responsible for the control and general supervision of the financial affairs of the MLGSCA
Chair: Robin Schiff
Governmental Relations/Bylaws Committee
Monitors & informs members of legislation & the actions of governmental agencies related to health science libraries, maintains the MLGSCA bylaws
Chair: Carrie Grinstead
Collects and maintains all information relating to MLGSCA membership
Co-Chairs: Danielle Linden & Robin Schiff
There shall be a Nominating Committee of five members. The Committee members shall be elected by plurality vote of the Group members present and voting at the group's last (usually spring) business meeting. The Committee shall elect a Chair by majority vote of its members.
Chair: Kelli Hines
Professional Issues Committee
Provides a forum for the discussion and resolution of professional issues of concern to the membership. The committee coordinates recruitment and retention efforts, including the chapter's mentoring program
Co-Chairs: Robin Schiff & Jan Kuebel-Hernandez
Encourages and facilitates research activities within the Chapter, provides research resources, and administers the annual Research Awards program
Chair: Janene Wandersee
Web/Blog Committee & Connections Committee
Consists of Webmaster, Assistant Webmaster, and "lay" members, responsible for MLGSCA Web site, including dynamic updating of the membership directory, usability studies, etc. Also responsible for updating blog and social media accounts. Now combined with Connections Committee: Responsible for email discussion list, tasks related to the chapter presence on social networking sites, AC and chapter-wide wiki issues, possible establishment of web conferencing, and other ways MLGSCA might connect with members and other organizations
Chair: David Bickford
Webmaster: Angela Murrell
Committee Chairs 2019
Now combined with Web/blog committee
WEB/BLOG & Connections Committee
Other Advisory Council Members
Additional Important Contact Information
MLA Credentialing Committee Liaison (AHIP)
Past and future meetings of the Medical Library Association can also be found here.
- May 16 - 19, 2020 -- MLA Annual Meeting 2020, Potland, OR
The Northern California & Nevada Medical Library Group (NCNMLG) and the Medical Library Group of Southern California & Arizona (MLGSCA) hold joint meetings. Locations generally rotate between the southern and northern regions.
In the past, we have joined with the Hawai‘i-Pacific Chapter, Northern California & Nevada Medical Library Group (NCNMLG) and the Pacific Northwest Chapter (PNC) to hold Western MLA Chapters Annual Meetings.
The below are some future and past meetings as well as information about Medical Library Association Annual Meetings.
- TBD -- MLGSCA/NCNMLG Joint Meeting 2021
- June 12-14, 2019 -- NCNMLG/MLGSCA Joint Meeting in San Fransisco, CA
- January 21-24, 2018 -- MLGSCA and NCNMLG Joint Meeting in Scottsdale, AZ
- May 26-31, 2017 -- Medical Library Association 117th Annual Meeting and Exhibition at Seattle, WA
- January 21-23, 2016 -- Joint Meeting hosted by NCNMLG at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- No meeting in 2015 -- MLA was held in Austin, TX
- October 2014 -- Quint Meeting hosted by Mid-Continental Chapter in Denver, CO
- July, 2013 -- Joint Meeting hosted by MLGSCA in San Diego, CA
- January/February 2012 -- No meeting as MLA was held in Seattle, WA
- February 23-26, 2011 -- Joint Meeting was hosted by NCNMLG in San Francisco, CA
- January 27-30, 2010 -- Joint Meeting hosted by MLGSCA in Glendale, AZ
- February 2009 -- No meeting as MLA was in Honolulu, HI; instead, we organized the Technology Symposium in March 2009, which was a day-long event held in Cerritos, CA
- February 2008 -- Joint Meeting hosted by NCNMLG in Las Vegas, NV
- No Western MLA Chapters Annual Meeting in 2007
- October 14-17, 2006 -- Western MLA Chapters 2006 Annual Meeting hosted by PNC in Seattle, WA
- February 2006 -- No Meeting - MLA was in Phoenix, AZ
- Long Beach, CA, February 2-5, 2005
- Sacramento, CA, January 28-31, 2004
- No Joint Meeting for 2003.
- Scottsdale, AZ, January 30 - February 2, 2002
Note: Past meeting Web sites are provided for historical interest and are generally not maintained to keep links current; Web links and e-mail addresses may be outdated.